What kind of petrol should you use?

Petrol Fuel Pump

You might have found yourself reading about the new E10 Petrol that is becoming the standard grade in Petrol forecourts shortly in the UK. If you are finding yourself wondering what can be used, please be assured that Regular unleaded 98, 95, 95 E5 or E10 petrol can be used in most petrol garden machinery products; however do not use any petrol containing more than 10% ethanol. This will cause corrosion damage to fuel system components.

What is E10?

E10 is a fuel made of 10% Ethanol (Hence the name E10) and 90% regular unleaded petrol. Ethanol is an alcohol that can be made from plants, including wheat and sugar beet. Current petrol used to contain 5% Ethanol with the other 95% being unleaded petrol.

The reason for the change is that the UK government argues that the use of E10 will have environmental impacts with the reduction of CO₂ emissions. They state that by doubling the renewable component (ethanol) in fuel then a reduction of 750,000 tonnes of CO₂ emissions, which could be around the same as taking 350,000 cars off of the road.

Are there any problems?

Ethanol is also a hygroscopic – which means it absorbs water from the atmosphere, leading to condensation in fuel tanks if the machine remains unused for long periods of time.

Information issued by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs confirms that the increased acidity, conductivity and chloride content of ethanol in E10 can cause corrosion and tarnishing of metal components (such as carburettors & fuel pumps), these problems occur when petrol is left in the machine over an extended period of time, so there is no need to drain your fuel immediately but to negate any problems with using older aged fuel you can use our fuel stabiliser that is for sale here >

10 thoughts on “What kind of petrol should you use?

    • Nathan Dukes says:

      Please contact our customer service team on 01793 333212 (Option 2) or cs@handys.co.uk, they will gladly provide you with more detail on Fuel, Oil and Additive ratios for your specific model.

      Kind Regards

    • Nathan Dukes says:

      Good Afternoon Mr Scott, Unfortunately at Webb Lawnmower, we have limited information on Flymo products and technical specifications. You can contact Flymo support on 0344 844 4558, hopefully they will be able to assist you further. I believe The L400 is a 2 stoke machine that will require a petrol and oil mixture, Flymo should be able to let you know what oil, and how much, you will need to keep your machine running correctly. Kind Regards Webb Lawnmowers

    • Nathan Dukes says:

      Good Morning. You can use E10 or E5 fuels in your Webb mower. We would not recommend mixing the two fuel types or the use of high octane or supreme fuels in a mower. Fresh E10 from a petrol station will be sufficient. Kind Regards

  1. JohnM says:

    However the manual on this site for the WER460SP states you should not use Ethanol Based Fuel. Which is correct ?

    • Nathan Dukes says:

      Thank you for your question. E5 and E10 fuels are not Ethanol based fuels. Both of these fuels are Gasoline / Fossil based fuel but contain Ethanol. A Fuel such as E85 or other Flex Fuels are often Ethanol based, generally 51-85% and not suitable for use in our machines.
      Webb Garden Power.

  2. Ron Eaglestone says:

    Good morning
    I have a 2 year old Webb WER41HP mower.
    After reading your article on E10 fuel.
    Am I right in believing that I can use E10 without causing any damage to my Webb mower.

    • Nathan Dukes says:

      That is correct, you can use E10 fuel in your machine and continue as you normally would.

      We would recommend not storing any unleaded fuel for more than 30 days.

      Kind Regards

      Webb Garden Power

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By browsing this website, you agree to our use of cookies.